Import of plants into the Republic of Kosovo shall be permitted if the importer has been issued the import permit by the competent body of the Ministry if:
• shipment of plants shall be imported through determined border crossing points which have phyto-sanitary service;
• border crossing points should meet the requirements designated for conducting health checks of plant consignments. In order to obtain a permit for importing plants the application for import permit should be filled in at the veterinary and food agency.
Consignments of plants presented in List V.B.I., their packaging and means of transport must undergo the mandatory check of the phytosanitary border inspection, which verifies that:
• the plant consignment is accompanied by the Phytosanitary Certificate
• there are no harmful organisms presented in List I.A and II. A in the plant consignment
• the plant consignment does not contain any organism harmful to plants, plant products and other objects presented in List II.A.
• the plant consignment satisfies specific phytosanitary requirements pursuant to List IV.A.
Any plant consignments under paragraph 1 point (a) of this article shall be accompanied by the original phytosanitary certificate of its country of origin or the complemented phyto-certificate when plant consignments must satisfy specific phytosanitary requirements in compliance with Lists IV. A and IV.B. issued by the country from which they come from which is different from the country of origin.
For plant consignments under paragraph 1 of this article, which after being issued the phyto-certificate in the country of origin, are transported, stored, repacked or split up in a country other than the country of origin, the original phyto-certificate or its notarized copy should be accompanied by the re-export phyto-certificate issued by the other country.
Any other plant consignments shall undergo border inspection checks, if the phytosanitary inspector suspects that there is a risk for spreading of plants harmful organisms.
The plants from the List V.B. imported for the purpose of examination and scientific research for selection must be checked by the phytosanitary inspection and should have the import permit pursuant to article 18 of the Law on Plant Protection, accompanied with the phyto-certificate issued by its country of origin.
Importers, transporters, or their representatives and physical persons who import plants in Kosovo are obliged to regularly inform the phytosanitary inspector on the arrival of the consignment which is imported or repacked during the transport, in order to undergo the phytosanitary check;
Customs service authorities cannot start customs procedures before the phytosanitary inspector checks any plant consignment under paragraph 1 point (a) of this article and issues the import permits, except in cases of transit consignments.
An Administrative instruction regulates tariffs for phytosanitary services.
Plant export may be carried out when:
• plant consignments that is being exported are of Kosovo origin, while the country where they will be exported requiresphytosanitary certificate; prior to issuing phyto-certificates, the phytosanitary inspector inspects the consignments, in order to ensure that it meets the phytosanitary requirements of the country where the consignment is to be exported.
• plant consignment that is being exported is not of Kosovo origin, but is stored, repacked and split up in Kosovo, while the country where it will be exported requires phyto-certificat; prior to issuing re-export phyto-certificates, the phytosanitary inspector inspects the consignment, in order to ensure that it meets the phytosanitary requirements of the importing country.
Re-export phyto-certificate is considered official document, whereby the phytosanitary inspector confirms that the requirements are met.
The application for phyto-certificate is submitted by the exporter to the phytosanitary inspector, who is obligated to perform the inspection check and to take a decision based on exporter’s application.
The exporter at his own expenses shall apply all the measures set out by phytosanitary inspector after the inspection of the plant consignment intended for export.
The transit of plants and plant products is permitted if:
• for plant consignment in transit the inspection control under article 27, paragraph 1 point (a) (b) (c) and (d) of the Law on Plant Protection is not obligatory
• plant consignments shall be packed in such a way that there will be no risk of spreading harmful organisms and shall not be stored, split up, repacked or combined with other consignments in the customs territory of Kosovo
• plant consignments which do not comply with legal provisions or in case they are unloaded, shall be inspected
As an exception to legal provisions, the Ministry can designate special treatment or obligatory inspection checks of consignments in transit in cases of risks or well-grounded suspicion of entry or spreading of harmful organisms.